Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: MovieStuff Transfers rock!

  1. #1
    hightreason
    Guest hightreason's Avatar

    Post

    I just had some super 8 transfered by Moviestuff and it came out looking great! I'm in film school and on a very tight budget and I'm glad that there is a place out there where I can get great looking film to video transfers without paying an arm and a leg. When I was budgeting this movie, I seriously thought the transfer was going to bankrupt me.
    Indeed, the DV 8 they use for the transfers has perfect registration as promised, and the clarity is great! Roger tells me that some people are sitting on the fence as to whether they should have him do their transfers, so I just thought I'd post this to let everyone know that I was very happy with my transfer.
    The great thing about it is that he offers a free test transfer so you don't have to take my word for it (or his). You certainly aren't going to get that from a rank. Plus, they're so pleasant to do business with!
    I just thought I'd let everyone know that there is an amazing, affordable alternative to a rank transfer. Now if he'd just do 16mm too... : )

    ------------------

  2. #2
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks for the kind words. In addition to the free test of your footage, we also offer a free registration test. This gives you a pulled back view of the running film including the sprocket hole to the side with registration marks as a reference. With this test it is very easy to judge the registration of the frame line relative to the sprocket hole, which is always rock steady on the screen with zero float or weave. I did this for Bryan's footage above and for Aaron's footage (supa-8-sixteen) as their footage both suffered a bit from the Yellow Jitters (Kodak cartridge problems). This registration footage might be useful for people trying to get a refund from Kodak for bad carts. I am also willing to provide a letter that states the problem is in the film and not the transfer, which the registration test will clearly illustrate.

    Anyway, for more information on the transfers, please see:
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/transfers.html

    Again, glad you like the transfers, Bryan! Your footage was really nicely lit (I mean REALLY nice). If you don't mind, I'd like to post a still from it. I might also post the registration test from Aaron's footage if he doesn't mind.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  3. #3
    Hanthx
    Guest Hanthx's Avatar

    Post

    Roger

    I refered two buddies of mine to you.
    I'll be sending you some film here soon myself.

    Scott

    ------------------

  4. #4
    supa_ate_sixteen
    Guest supa_ate_sixteen's Avatar

    Post

    Well I was going to start a post of my own but figured this one would do.

    Roger also transferred approx 35 rolls of Super 8 film for a short mocumentary film I am working on. I am also very low budget and this was even my first sync sound film. Roger's price was clearly the alternative for my transfer in comparison to any Rank competitor. At first I was kind of nervous and didn't know what to expect from Roger's new DV-8 machine. It looked like some washing machine that was going to steam my footage from the picture, but the results proved otherwise.

    The first image I saw was some K-40 that I was absolutely stunned was Super 8. K40's fine grain and sharpness was so well preserved that I couldn't believe Super 8 could look so clean on a transfer. Although I have never had footage ranked, Roger's machine puts out some beautiful transfers that don't look "videoish" like all those other home brew transfer and even telecine projectors put out.

    When looking at my registration test that Roger mentioned above, it was clear that any jitteryness in my film was all to blame on those pesky K40 carts that we are all getting from Kodak. If Roger posts the clip, it is 100% clear that the DV-8 has rock hard registration and any jitters are responsible from the shooting end of the film. Very steady image.

    The sharpness was also amazingly good. Like I said before my K40 was so clear and grainless I could not believe I was seeing Super 8 transferred to video. Stunning indeed.

    I also have to add that Rogers color correction is something we can all appreciate at such a low cost to the filmmakers. My footage could of cost me well over a grand if I had a Rank done with scene to scene color correction. After reviewing my camera original, I mentioned the only real things that I could spot that needed fixing. Sure enough, Roger's color correction turned a cheap 3k photoflood into a much cooler looking flourescent that beautifully added to a doctors office scene in my film. This by far has got to be a huge perk for anyone out there that runs into less than perfect color issues or exposure.

    I am now in the editing phase and must say that the DV-8 and Roger's service are a blessing to the Super 8 community. I am most definetely going to use his services in my upcoming Super 8 projects.

    Thanks again Roger!

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    I wish I could take all the credit but I can't. I designed and built the DV8 but my wife, Annette, is the person responsible for doing all the transfers. For those of you interested in having your material transferred, she is the "go to" person for your transfer needs.

    Send her an email at any time if you have any questions:

    [email protected]

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  6. #6
    Inactive Member hightreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Feel free to post stills from any of my footage on your site. I'll be sending you more soon so you'll have lots of options.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member hightreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I brought the footage Roger transfered into class today to show the class some dailies. The instructor could not tell the difference from a rank transfer. In fact, he couldn't stop talking about how good it looks. This teacher is way overly critical about everything that has even the slightest little problem; and some things that don't (in my opinion). Of course, I got reemed on everything else. : ) That's how you learn, right? :/

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hightreason:
    I brought the footage Roger transfered into class today to show the class some dailies. The instructor could not tell the difference from a rank transfer.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Wow! I guess, at some point, I'm going to have to have some new super 8 footage Ranked just so I can see the inevitable comparison. Hmmmmm. Do I really want to know? I can not imagine that the DV8 would be better but I suppose it would be good to know the difference.

    That is the number one question that everyone asks me when they inquire about transfers or the WorkPrinters- "How does it compare to, say, a Rank transfer?"

    Why can't they ask me something easy like,"How does it compare to, say, projecting on my butt?"

    I could tell them if it was MY butt, it would have to be anamorphic.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member hightreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yea, we didn't have any ranked footage in the class because almost everyone else is shooting on video... so there was no side-by-side comparison. Next time I hear of someone ranking some super 8, I'll try to have them also send you some for the free test. That way we can have a fair side-by-side comparison of the two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •